Researchers at MIT have found that the rates of change vary greatly among different sectors of technology. Information technologies are found to be improving the fastest out of any. What does this mean for the people who work in the field? That IT professionals must expand their knowledge at an equal or greater pace than the technology itself.
In business, the goal in any field is to stay current with market trends. We must serve our clients in the most up to date way. If we fail, we risk becoming obsolete. While this mindset stands true for many industries, it is especially important for IT. As new products hit the market, old ones become irrelevant. Which means that continuing education and improving skill is a must.
It professionals can stay up to date in a variety of ways
- Set time aside to learn something new. Professionals often get caught up with the ins and outs of the everyday workload. It is important to block time on your calendar to learn in some way; whether it is reading, networking, or trying something new.
- Attend conferences. The next big thing is most often mentioned at industry events. This is a great way to figure out where to focus your efforts and to find someone to learn from
- Learn from other IT professionals. Subscribe to newsletters, follow an industry leader on social media, and follow blogs. Do what you can to keep current information popping up in your inbox.
- Join a professional organization. Many organizations are committed to helping professionals advance their careers. They may give you access to mentors, training materials and more! Click here for a list of professional organizations for IT professionals.
- Diversify your knowledge. Chances are, you will work across many vendor solutions and products. Make sure that you are learning how to work across a variety of different operating systems and platforms
- Research online courses and certifications. There is a variety of certifications and courses that you can complete online. These are great resume builders and will help you prove your knowledge when looking for a job or working towards a promotion.
Read more about the up to date services that Halski engineers know!